Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Documenting Downtown Las Vegas - Part 1

Downtown is a place we frequent a lot, but it is always at night and I am usually on the drunk side. I really love downtown. It is definitely tourist infested, but also a place that us locals, young and old, like to go. It's a place where you can be yourself and not be judged. If you love to people watch this is the place to do it. You get your wasted tourists, street performers of all different kinds, junkies, bums, cover bands, etc. You name it, and you will probably see it at one point. You can walk freely while drinking the alcohol of your choice. There are liquor stores up and down Fremont Street Experience. You can buy tall cans for $2 instead of your usual $5-$7 beers you get on the Strip. 

Downtown Las Vegas is the only place that has the little bit of culture this town has left. Our tiny art district lies in this area. It is Old Las Vegas that will soon turn into something very close to the Strip. This breaks my heart. Everything in this city gets blown up and rebuilt. Constantly trying to out do it self. Our trip downtown yesterday was proof of this. 

I have wanted to document downtown during the day for quite awhile now. I knew it would be a completely different atmosphere than what I am used to going at night. Now I haven't been down there in about a month or two and I'm not sure if I just never noticed the major changes that were being made or all of these changes were very new, but I was shocked when I saw all of these old places being torn down, new places already established. Some of the new bars I saw seemed like they definitely fit in the downtown atmosphere, but there were a couple of new places that just did not belong. They're trying to make it way too fancy and to me it just doesn't seem right. I can't even bare to imagine what this place will look like in the next 10 years.  

Until then, I will take advantage of my favorite part of my city. Preston and I had a blast on our photo adventure yesterday. We walked up and down the experience and through alley ways with tall cans in hand, talking, laughing, people watching. We hadn't done something like that with just him and I in awhile and I am really glad we got the chance. He is very supportive of my picture taking and I appreciate his patience when it comes to the constant stopping and making him hold my beer to get a shot. Thanks babe for your support and patience. I love knowing you had just as much fun as I did. 

Alrighty then... Lets get to the pictures shall we. I am making this a 3 part series because there are so many pictures I want to share with you guys, but I don't want to overwhelm anyone by putting them in one post. So here goes Part 1 of 3.

















Keep an eye out for Part 2 and Part 3.. 

p.s. We took a lot of video throughout the night as well. As soon as we learn how to video edit and all that, we're going to make our first movie. This will be exciting!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a message!